Make A Difference Day 2013
A huge thank you to all those who participated in our Make a Difference day events in October – over 40 volunteers, including many staff from local businesses, were involved in delivering a host of environmental improvements across The Trossachs and around Arrochar.
Arrochar & Ardgartan – 22 Oct
· Clearing over 35 bags of litter from the beach
· Surveying 100m section of beach for the Marine Conservation Society’s Beach Watch Campaign
· Building 15 bird boxes & 2 bug hotels
· Building a culvert to improve drainage on a footpath
· Open up the footpath from Arrochar
The Trossachs – 24 Oct
· Dismantling 35 fire pits and clearing 30 bags of litter on the south side of Loch Venachar
· Identifying and recording 40 ancient trees in Glen Gyle (mainly 200-300 year old Alders)
· Clearing spruce regeneration and building a 9ftx9ft wildlife hut at the David Marshall Lodge Forest
Thank you so much again to everyone who participated in the events, as well as to our task leaders, and Forest Holidays Argyll & Venachar Lochside for hosting the events for us.
Autumn plans - Make a Difference – As Autumn approaches, we are busy planning our next series of conservation tasks for folk to come out and get involved with while enjoying some special and wild areas of the National Park.
We will be expanding on the success of our 2011 Make a Difference to Loch Lomond Day with a day in Cowal on Tuesday 22 October and another in The Trossachs on Thursday 24 October. Tasks planned include path maintenance, biodiversity work, building wildlife boxes, ancient tree location as well as some litter clearance tasks.